FINDING JULES

This is to chronicle a journey that I began in September 2005. A weight loss journey is what it started out as, but I am coming to find it is more than that it is about being almost 40 and still needing to find out who I am, what I stand for, what my purpose is and what brings me joy! And I am hoping as I peel off the layers of fat, I can find the person I am meant to be and be happy!

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

RESOLUTION RUN 2007

I started the New Year out running. Literally, I found that there was a 5K run in Seattle on January 1, 2007, so Laurie and I headed out the morning of the 1st and began the year with a 5k. We went with a goal. We wanted to do the run in under an hour. The first event we did together was last year at the St Patricks day Dash. We were way over an hour, and new we should be able to do much better than that, after all we are 1/2 marathon walkers;-)We started out running and ran farther in one stretch than we have yet, but maybe should have warmed up a little more, we were feeling the burn and a few aches, that had to be worked out.

While we were waiting for the run to start I kept commenting on the runners who were already starting the trail, going a little distance, and coming back to the finish line. Now I know why they do this. By the time the race has started they are nice and warmed up and have worked their way through any body issues, and are ready to go. I learn something new every time we go to a run/walking event.

So about the 2nd mile I think we were beginning to finally be warmed up, we ran a few more sections, making good time, heading for our goal, and finally the last stretch. We went for it and ran to the finish line. 49 minutes 45 seconds. A personal best! Laurie and I crossed the finish line and high fived. Our training is paying off. We are becoming stronger!!!

My only regret is that they also had the trip-n-dip at this event. It is where at the end of the race right before the finish line you submerge your self in Lake Washington before you run across the finish line. We did not come prepared for that part of the event, we thought hard about doing it, since it would have been a first for both of us, but decided to stick with the original plan of going for our personal best time, which we accomplished. But watch out 2008 we will be there with our towels in hand for that NICE dip in Lake Washington!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

It's already on my calendar for '08! We'll be there! Thanks for finding us such a fun event- it was a great day!

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home